Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No regrets?

How does one live life with no regrets if you have no idea what you might regret later in life?
I can look back and see things that might have been nice, or better had I known to change them.
I can wish for things to have been different in one way or another either by my actions of the actions of another.
Do I regret things from my past that I think I might take to my death bed and have to beg for understanding?
No, not yet.
I can look back at the years as well though and wonder what might have been had I put myself in a better position.
What if I had followed through on the hopes of being a social worker specializing in teens issues?
Was there any chance that if I had applied myself to different interests that I might have been a success at something?
Have my years been wasted trying to track down people who are dead or don't want contact?
Will I regret the time I have spent on my search, the years spent?
What have I gained out of it all?
What might I have become had I not spent my time fighting what so often feels like a losing battle?
I can't say for sure because I'm not yet feeling like I can throw that towel in.
At this moment, it feels like it could be soon, and then I wonder.
If I throw in the towel and somehow get my answers when I feel like I have given up, what might I regret?
I can only give one answer.
I would regret finding out that I was close to finding my birth father, gave up, and then found him at the grave just like Dottye.
There is I know another thing I may very well regret. 
That is continuing my search and finding him dead even soon.
What will I regret when my time is over?
How do I find a way to live without regrets?

1 comment:

  1. ur exactly where ur supposed to be. uve done an amazing job...theres no regret in that. ur more dedicated and driven than anyone i know!!! in anything u choose to pursue. erica

    ReplyDelete