Thursday, July 28, 2011

A baby donkey, my bucket list and 3 dad's

You know growing up I would make lists of things I wanted or hoped to do someday. We now know those lists to be called bucket lists. I'm cool with that, but how do you fit it all in a bucket??

I want a donkey. Have you ever seen a  baby donkey? They are beyond cute, though aren't all babies? When my parents took us to Grenada I believe on our first visit, I was around 4 or 5 years old. On the beach was a local man who offered donkey rides. I was in my bathing suit and remember thinking the donkey was making me itch, and wishing I could take him home to cuddle. I never took another donkey ride after that. When we drive by fairs that have horse or donkey rides I have to look away. They're tied up and walking in circles, I don't think they are enjoying the children on their backs at all. I'd love to have enough land to have a donkey where he can just be free to roam. I told my husband though we would need to get him a goat to keep him company, and maybe a cow. I adore cows. Have you ever pet a cow???

I have 3 dad's. One raised me, I know him rather well. 
My second dad is called with affection "Donkey Dan."
I met him through classmates.com when I was trying to find people who knew Dottye.While he didn't know her, he was one of the people instrumental in finding out who the birth father was to Dottye's first born child. He also helped us to clarify the year of her birth. We remained friends online. He's a story teller in a very special way, he writes from the soul with a lot of humor and wit. I call him dad. I hope to meet him in the physical some day. Why do I call him dad? There's a connection there and I know he cares. And he said I could. :0) He told me that donkeys can be mean. And like I would with the dad who raised me, I'll smile at that comment and get one someday anyway.

My bucket list is not long. I did something last week that I didn't even know was on my list. I have the simple things on my list like find the rest of my birth family which includes my birth father and Dottye's birth family. I'd like to have that donkey. Someday I want to sleep on a secluded beach, and for sure before I kick the bucket I'd like one more ride on a motorcycle. Getting my book published before I die would be great, I'm ok if it happens after I die as well. 

What did I do last week. I took my 64 Mustang, named Molly after a horse I used to ride in camp, and did a drag race at the Texas Motor Speedway with her. My husband said I should. We had gone the week before to watch the races. Everyday people having fun on a safe track. Could I do it? Did I dare to do it?? My stomach was turning as I got in Molly and put my helmet on from a practice race. It was still 100 degrees and you can't run your ac on the track. Add the helmet, let's just say it wasn't pretty! I gave the thumbs up and punched the gas to the floor. I did two practice rounds. I lost the first one but had a good feel for how this works. The second one I won. I was smiling ear to ear as I pulled my helmet off and waited for Shannon to come to the car. As the driver I had just beat drove past me his grin turned to a large frown when he saw I was a chick. Classic, made me smile even more.
I lost my actual race. I bet him from the start then lulled too much to win. I almost looked parked as he drove on past me. My calves were sore for three days later. The rush was amazing and I look forward to winning a race. Guess that's on my bucket list, to win.

What's on your bucket list? Will you share it with me here on my blog so I can go back and reference it when I run out of my own ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment