Tuesday, September 13, 2011

They say it's your Birthday

How often did I wonder "Is today really the day that I was born?"
As I got older and when the Internet was available, I found so many other adoptees who asked the same question.
Depending on what year and state that you were born in, the date you had been "celebrating" may not have been the date that you were born on. Some amended birth certificates were allowed to change that information as well as all of the other false information.
I was one of the lucky ones in being able to find out that indeed, June 2nd was really the day that I was born on. Celebrate, well we're still working on that. Some years are better then others.

When I woke this morning I felt odd. Our a/c is broken and the house is hot, we got very little sleep so I chalked it up to all of that. I was not able to take my 65 Mustang for my normal morning drive as I had to wait for the repair man. I thought that might have something to do with my mood as well.
As I sat outside waiting for the morning sun to begin heating up the city, I had a visit from a friend.
I don't have a name for her though we have met several times over the last couple of summers.

I quit smoking a month ago and so I don't see her as often as I used to. She would usually come visit while I sat outside of my front door smoking. One day she came about three feet in front of me and just hoovered there, as if she was checking me out and trying to tell me something at the same time.
This morning was the first time that I met with her int he backyard. She come around the side of the house and over the fence. Again, she hoovered about three feet in front of me for about a 5 second visit. As she flew away I looked up to the sky and said "Thank you. I'm not sure who you are but thank you."
She's a beautiful, tiny and spunky hummingbird. In the past I have thought of my husbands Great Aunt Margie when I see her, because Margie had a large collection of bird figurines.
This morning as I said my thank you, I wondered.

If it is possible for our loved ones living on the other side to send us signs, how do we know which sign is from which person? 

In my case, I didn't get to know Dottye, my first mother.If she sends me signs, I might be seeing them but at the same time may not be aware that they are from her.

As I sat here talking to the dogs, waiting for our a/c to be fixed and working on the computer, an email came through from my sister.
She was almost 6 when Dottye died.
She reminded me that today is the day that Dottye celebrated her Birthday. We have a document that shows her actual date of birth was on another day, and I had to wonder:
Did she know that today was not the actual date of her birth?
Did she decide on a new birth date when she decided on her new name?

Did she send the hummingbird?
All I can do is wonder, hope, and ask for more signs to help lead me to the answers.
Either way, I found some peace in the visit from my little friend. I wonder if I should name her.

Happy Birthday Dottye.

Click here to see my tribute video and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment