Friday, August 22, 2014

And your name is.......???????

There is a comedian I have been going to see for about 15 years now. His name is Flip and he is a hypnotist. Look him, see his show, and you'll understand my title. You won't regret seeing the show, if you do, well you're just not a funny person.

Growing up I would ask "How did I get the name Wendy?"
I knew of two other Wendy's, one younger then me and one older. In my adult life I have met one who is older then me. We've all said, there just are not that many Wendy's.

If I asked my mom she would without fail say "Ask your father."
When I would ask my dad he would reply either that he didn't know, ask your mother, or Peter Pan.

To date, I have not seen the movie nor read the Peter Pan book but I am getting closer to renting Hook. I believe that has something to do with Peter Pan.
I don't recall my brothers asking where they got their names from, I'm not sure if they know or don't really care. It's always been of interest to me.

Am I the only one who wonders where my name came from?

On my parents last visit I decided to ask again. We were in the car headed to dinner, meeting my inlays about an hour away. We had time to kill and we were trapped for the hour in the car, so I went ahead and asked.

"What made you guys name me Wendy" I asked without looking back.
Mom "Well, your father always wanted a daughter........" I let her finish the story of why they had to adopt a girl. In the past I would have said why they adopted me, I'm an adult now and fully aware that I just happened to be the girl available.
Finally she got to the question "I think it was the name of the mother of a nanny dad grew up with. Ar???" her nick name for my dad." Ya. What???"
He wasn't paying attention, or maybe he fell asleep.
We carried on the talk and never could figure out if they had named me after the mother of a nanny my father had, whom he liked very much. Or if my name was from some character from Peter Pan. As 41 I got a new answer though. I always find it interesting how a story can change, or the truth it might be finally comes out.

I have two birth certificates. My "Amended" birth certificate which would indicate that the parents I grew up with were my blood parents by anyone else who looks at the form. I also have my "OBC" which is my Original Birth Certificate.

My name on the amended copy is as I've always known it.
My name on the OBC is "Girl Moore".

The one thing I had so very much looked forward to was finding out what my birth name was, with hopes of why it was given to me.
Girl Moore.
Yup. I'm a girl.

I may never know what my first name was.
I will continue to have fun trying to find out the reasons for my now given name of Wendy. I'll ask until they are no longer here to ask.
The changes in answers are always amusing.
Not knowing my birth name, not as amusing.




No comments:

Post a Comment